Sri Lankan manager tortured to death at Sialkot factory over alleged blasphemy

Sri Lankan manager tortured to death at Sialkot factory over alleged blasphemy

Sialkot (Web Desk): A Sri Lankan citizen, working as a factory manager, was tortured to death by a mob over allegations of blasphemy in Sialkot on Friday.

According to local authorities, the man tortured to death by the factory workers was identified as Priyantha Kumara, a Sri Lankan national.

As per District Police Officer (DPO) Umar Saeed Malik, the incident took place on Wazirabad Road.

Upon receiving a report of the incident, a heavy contingent of police reached the spot and tried to control the situation.

Police claimed that and there was no way of knowing about it before that time.

When the police arrived at the scene, the victim had already been tortured to death and his body was being set to fire.

"The police did try to stop the mob from setting the body on fire, but the rioters' strength was overwhelming," a police officer said.

The DPO said an investigation into the death of the foreign manager is under way.

The police official further said that video footage from inside the factory, where the torture took place, has been siezed to identify the suspects, adding that efforts to make arrests were underway. "Some people have been arrested," the official added.

Taking notice of the incident, Punjab Chief Minister (CM) Usman Buzdar said Buzdar said he was "extremely shocked at the horrific Sialkot incident", stressing that no one is allowed to take the law into their hands.

The Punjab CM summoned a report from the inspector general of police and ordered a high-level inquiry into the matter.

Punjab Inspector General of Police (IGP) Rao Sardar Ali Khan also took notice of the incident and directed the Gujranwala regional police officer to reach the location immediately.

"The Sialkot DPO is present on the spot. All aspects of the incident should be investigated," the IGP said.

Later, briefing the media, Punjab government spokesperson Hassan Khawar said that approximately 50 people were arrested.

He said that the CCTV footage is being obtained so that those who were responsible can be identified.

"Besides this, the RPO and commissioner of Gujranwala Division are on location and personally monitoring the situation," the spokesperson said.

"The IG has directed law enforcement personnel to produce results in 48 hours after which the probe will be extended," Khawar added.